Laughter can be considered a universal language appreciated in every world language. But laughing can also benefit an individual's mental health in the long run. The effects of daily laughter are proven to be helping with common mental disorders such as stress and anxiety.
Short and Long term effects of laughter
Laughter not only helps in improving mental health disorders, but it also has other health benefits. There are various benefits of laughter in the long term and short, and some of them are:
Short-term benefits of laughter:
- It helps to reduce stress and anxiety levels.
- Promotes a positive mood and feelings of happiness and well-being.
- Increases pain tolerance and provides temporary pain relief.
- It boosts the immune system by increasing antibody production and activating immune cells.
- It enhances blood flow and oxygenation, leading to a quick improvement in cognitive function.
Long-term benefits of laughter:
- Promotes positive emotions and reduces stress hormones, reducing the risk of depression and anxiety
- It improves blood flow and reduces inflammation, lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Increases oxygenation and reduces respiratory infections, improving lung function
- It improves communication and enhances social connections, reducing feelings of loneliness and isolation
- Enhances cognitive function and memory, potentially lowering the risk of dementia and cognitive decline later in life
Productivity and Morale in the Workplace
Laughter can also have a positive impact on workplace productivity and Morale. When employees are stressed, focusing on their work and collaborating effectively with their colleagues can be difficult. However, by reducing stress levels, laughter can improve communication and teamwork, leading to a more engaged and effective workforce. Moreover, humor and laughter can stimulate creativity and promote a relaxed and positive environment, leading to a happier and healthier workplace culture. Therefore, encouraging laughter can benefit employees and employers, creating a positive and productive workplace environment.
Laughter is a contagious thing, and it always lightens up the atmosphere. In many mental health disorders, individuals should practice laughter therapy. If you're going through difficult times due to mental health disorders such as stress or anxiety, connect with Solh Wellness.
Solh Wellness is a mental wellness platform that provides preventive tools and solutions for mental disorders. We believe that prevention is always better than cure. Laughing and fun activities are always important, and with the same objective in mind, we have created a month-long campaign, '#MomMeTime,' that promotes and raises awareness of mothers' mental health. The campaign will conclude with a mental health mela on the Solh Wellness platform 'Solh Fiesta' on 31st May. You can catch all the fun activities on the Solh Wellness platform, so don't forget to download the Solh App.