Do you always try to keep yourself ahead of others irrespective of the situation as well as start feeling uncomfortable when somebody else gets the priority. Hold your breath because it may be the sign of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It is a mental health issue. A person, specifically man, carries an inflated sense of self-importance and never compromises upon secondary attention if suffering with this disorder.
Causes of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Causes of this problem are still unknown but the following points may be the possible reasons:
- Environmental factors
- Childhood abuse
- Unreliable parenting
- Received excessive attention at some point of time and expecting same all the time
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Person suffering with Narcissistic Personality Disorder looks normal like others but a clear difference can be seen in behavior when something important is taking place. The person may show the following symptoms:
- Undue need for admiration
- Disregard towards others' feelings
- Inability to handle criticism
- Sense of entitlement
- Preoccupation with power and success
- Exploiting other people for personal gain
- Feeling envious of others
- Always tries to look superior to others
- Prefers not to congratulate others even on big achievements
Treatment for Narcissistic Personality Disorder
It always proves difficult to treat a person with Narcissistic Personality Disorder because of unwillingness. Person never admits that he/she is suffering with any kind of mental health problem and accordingly prefers to not meet a mental care specialist.
Prevention for Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Uncertain definitions about Narcissistic Personality Disorder cause different kinds of problems and it is not known yet which is the best way possible to prevent this condition. However below mentioned tips might help to some extent:
- Parents must try to identify the problem at an early stage and make sure that you always remain careful against providing more than enough attention.
- Consider family therapy to learn healthy ways to effectively cope with conflicts or emotional distress.
- Join parenting classes to learn about nurturing tips.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a considerable issue and causes big issues during important occasions. People also get addicted to alcoholic drinks and substance use. Contact certified medical care specialists as soon as possible for assistance. Generally, people with this disorder do not seek diagnosis, but people living with someone who shares these traits may seek counseling to learn how to better cope.