Everyone's mental health differs from others, and the concept of Allied Therapy uses different methods that can help improve the mental health of individuals. Music therapy is one of those therapies that has proven effective in mental disorders like ADHD, Bipolar, and anxiety. Music therapy focuses on using music to help address different needs, such as physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs, for both individuals and groups. It can include listening to music, playing an instrument, drumming, writing songs, and guided imagery. It is suitable for everyone, regardless of age or musical ability. It can help improve a person's mood, reduce anxiety, and even improve physical coordination.
How Music Therapy Works in Mental Wellness
Different methods are involved in Music Therapy, and the therapist chooses these exercises according to the individual's needs. Some forms of activities that are used in Music Therapy are:
- Active listening: Active listening involves the therapist playing a song or piece of music, encouraging the patient to share their feelings or thoughts about the music. This approach allows the patient to express themselves through the shared music experience.
- Performance-based therapy: Performance-based music therapy involves the therapist playing an instrument or singing, encouraging the patient to join in and participate. This approach can help patients build confidence and develop a sense of accomplishment.
- Writing songs and lyrics: Writing songs and lyrics can be a powerful way for patients to express themselves and explore their feelings. The therapist can work with the patient to create music or lyrics that reflect their experiences and emotions.
- Dancing and movement: Dancing and movement-based music therapy can be a fun and effective way for patients to release tension and build physical and emotional strength. The therapist may use an instrument or a piece of music, encouraging the patient to move their body in time with the music.
- Relaxation therapy: The relaxation-focused music therapy involves the therapist playing calming music, guiding the patient to a more relaxed state. This approach can help patients reduce stress and anxiety, promoting peace and well-being.
Benefits of Music Therapy
Music therapy is a highly personalized and versatile approach suitable for people of any age with various musical experience levels and mental or physical health challenges. Engaging with music can activate multiple brain regions, fulfill social needs, lower heart rate and blood pressure, relax muscle tension, release endorphins, relieve stress, and encourage feelings of calm. Some other benefits of music therapy are:
- Music therapy can activate regions of the brain associated with memory, emotions, movement, sensory relay, decision-making, and reward.
- It can fulfill the social needs of older adults in group settings, promoting a sense of connection and belonging.
- For children and young adults with developmental or learning disabilities, music therapy can strengthen motor skills and improve communication.
- Music therapy can also be a helpful tool for managing insomnia, providing a non-invasive and affordable option for self-management.
- It has been found effective in reducing pain associated with chronic conditions, childbirth, and surgery and can be a valuable part of a long-term pain management plan.
Art and Culture are necessary for keeping society organized and improving an individual's mental health. These kinds of activities can be an antidote to the common mental disorders a person faces, and music Therapy also works similarly.
At Solh Wellness, we strive to provide individuals with the best mental healthcare at ease of access. We also offer affordable packages of Allied Therapy where you can meet experts who can guide you through music therapy and other allied therapies like dance and art therapy. And we also invited a Sufi musical personality on our talk show, 'Solh Talks,' where successful individuals from different fields discuss their mental health journey. The renowned Sufi singer Vusat Iqbal Khan talks about how music helps her overcome daily challenges. Download the Solh Wellness App to watch the full episode now!