Stress and depression are frequently uninvited guests during the holiday season. It's no surprise! Cooking meals, shopping, baking, cleaning, and entertaining are just a few of the demands that come with the holidays.
Christmas is a good time for people to sit back and relax with their families, and rejuvenate themselves for the upcoming new year. Even though it is the time to relax, it is important to keep your mental health in check.
For the people who might be celebrating this holiday alone, it can get a bit difficult to be away from family. Feelings of loneliness might arise. Consequently, we bring you a few tips to enjoy Christmas to the fullest.
Few Tips To Try Are:
1. Be Patient And Gentle: Don't beat yourself up for feeling sad in the middle of festivities. It is completely normal to feel this way. This holds true for people celebrating with their families who are surrounded by other people as well as for people celebrating alone.
2. Enjoy The Moment: This is a time when people tend to look at the shortcomings of their past year and feel bad about it but the lesson to take is that we need to learn from our mistakes instead of endlessly dwelling on them. Instead of feeling guilty, we need to let go and move on.
3. Meet Your Loved Ones: If you can’t meet them in person, try to connect online. It helps to build a healthy space for yourself to be able to unwind. If you are aware of the situations or things that might be a trigger for you, try to avoid them for the time being so you can enjoy holidays.
4. Drink And Eat Well: If you have plans to drink alcohol, drink sensibly and in good measure. Try to eat in moderation and avoid overindulging on things like sugar which can trigger certain imbalances in the brain.
5. Manage Your Time: Use time for productivity and try to do something you love and express yourself in artistic and therapeutic ways. This can be a great way to unwind. You can also try your hand in new activities. You don’t need to be good at it. Take it just as a fun activity. For example, picking up an instrument, singing, dancing, painting, knitting or crocheting, etc.
6. Give Back To Others: Christmas is the time for kindness. So while you remember to be kind to yourself also remember to be kind to others. Show gratitude towards people who have been there for you throughout the year and do something special for them. It doesn’t have to be a grand gesture. It can be anything such as hosting a small dinner. Such feelings of gratitude will also help feel happier in general.
If at any point of time you feel that you need additional support, it is okay to ask for help. You can subscribe to Solh App for best assistance. We wish all a ‘Merry Christmas’. Stay Healthy, Stay Safe!